Towns & Villages

Penrose.jpg

PENROSE

Penrose is a small township in the Southern Highlands located between Bundanoon and Marulan, 152 km south-west of Sydney and approximately 30 minutes from Moss Vale. Penrose offers a local public school, general store, a cafe, rural fire brigade, train station and a timber mill as well as a hardware store.
The Penrose railway station was opened to replace Cable's Siding and Kareela platform. Cables Siding saw some settlement starting in early 1871, with the population of the settlement increasing in 1890. The district school Inspector was sent to select a site for a school, which was built soon after. In 1893 a Methodist Church was re-erected at Cable's Siding, which had previously rendered services at Bowral and Moss Vale. This building was then moved to a new position about 75 yards from Penrose Station in 1924. The Cook brothers of Penrose claimed the land, and the job of moving the structure took six days. The new Methodist Church opened in November 1939, and a Methodist Hall, which was built by voluntary labour, was completed in March 1953.